Go Back   Mitsu-Media > General > Mitsubishi News > Other Automotive News

Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
MM Fiend

Send a message via AIM to 95TalonTSI
Default The truth about GM's High Performance Vehicle operation

DETROIT - There's a bit of confusion following Automotive News' report Wednesday that General Motors has shut down its High Performance Vehicle Operations. HPVO's 60 engineers have been moved to other projects, mostly alternative fuel/powerplant vehicles and getting better fuel mileage out of conventional internal combustion engines, for example.

GM will continue to produce low-volume performance cars that have been designed, including the Cadillac CTS-v sedan, Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS and, of course, the Australian-sourced Pontiac G8 GXP. Spokesman Vince Muniga likens it to Ford's shutdown of its Special Vehicle Team about three years ago. Ford has just unveiled SVT versions of the F-150 (Raptor) and 2010 Taurus (SHO).

And because the CTS-v sedan has been on sale for several months, there's a good chance you'll be able to buy a CTS-v coupe some time in 2011, following the 3.6-liter V-6-powered coupe's planned launch in late 2010.

Corvette engineering and design were never part of HPVO, so ZR-1, Z06 and even Camaro SS production are not affected. We've reported, however, that Chevrolet's Z/28 version of the Camaro, which would have used the CTS-v's engine/tuning, is on indefinite hold.

So what does this "hiatus" affect? Mostly future product that would have gone through the HPVO pipeline. Frankly, that makes this almost a non-story, as cash-strapped GM has put much of its future product on hold in order to get the 2011 Chevrolet Volt and Cruze on the market (the new Opel Insignia, just launched in Europe, too). You were expecting, maybe, a Volt SS or Cruze SS?

Indeed, the future of GM's performance division relies as much on what emissions and fuel economy standards the government imposes on the auto industry as it does on whether the automakers get any more federal money.
I Hope this Helps with ALL THE BS.

EDIT UPDATE 3/31/09:
DETROIT – General Motors Corp.'s new chief executive said Tuesday that more of the automaker's plants could close and bankruptcy is "more probable" as GM works to meet new, tougher requirements for government aid.

In his first news conference as CEO, Fritz Henderson said he expects the company would "need to take further measures" beyond the five plants the company said it would shutter when it submitted a restructuring plan to the government last month.

GM also is likely to offer another buyout program to workers as it looks to cut labor costs, Henderson said.

President Barack Obama said Monday that GM's initial plans to become viable didn't go far enough. He gave the company 60 days to make more cuts and get more concessions from bondholders and unions or it won't get any more government help.

The Obama administration also asked former CEO Rick Wagoner to resign, and Henderson took over as CEO on Monday.

Henderson said that although GM would prefer not to use bankruptcy protection to save itself, it is "certainly more probable" than in the past.

The company, he said, has until June 1 to accomplish changes sought by the government, or it will be in bankruptcy. The 60-day deadline should be enough time, but if it becomes evident that the changes can't be made by the deadline, GM could go into court sooner, he said.

"It doesn't have to take 60 days. If it's quite clear that we're not able to accomplish what we need to do in terms of operational restructuring, reduction of debt on the balance sheet and what we need to do to accomplish these broad parameters of having a viable business, this will be a management judgment" reviewed by the Obama administration's autos task force, he said.

Henderson also said GM is still talking with potential buyers of the Hummer brand, and a decision on the brand's fate will come in the next few weeks. GM said in a viability plan filed with the government in February that it would make the decision in the first quarter, which ends Tuesday.

In an effort to increase sales, GM launched a program called "Total Confidence" that will make car payments for customers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own.

GM will make up to nine payments of $500 each to qualifying customers. Consumers must qualify for state unemployment benefits to be eligible for the program.

The program starts Wednesday and runs until April 30.

Ford Motor Co. announced a similar program Tuesday, which will take over customer's payment of up to $700 a month for a year in the event of job loss.

Shares of GM fell 32 cents, or 11.9 percent, to $2.38 in midday trading. Ford shares fell 6 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $2.70.

Last edited by 95TalonTSI; 03-31-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
MM n00b

Send a message via Yahoo to SergeRS Visit SergeRS's Twitter

It does, specially cuz i heard that the corvette z06 was also gonna be on hold... cadillac though is indeed retiring from europe and australia isnt it?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to silent_kreeper Visit silent_kreeper's Facebook Visit silent_kreeper's Twitter

I knew the Z28 was on hold which sux but my boy told me a few weeks ago that Chrysler is planning a Challenger SRT10....My .02 is GM has a hefty price tag on their cars....Why buy GM over priced cars when you can get a better quality car cheaper??
Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_kreeper View Post
I knew the Z28 was on hold which sux but my boy told me a few weeks ago that Chrysler is planning a Challenger SRT10....My .02 is GM has a hefty price tag on their cars....Why buy GM over priced cars when you can get a better quality car cheaper??
I really hope you aren't implying that Chrysler products have higher quality than any GM product.

Mitsu-Media Photographers Flickr

Team MOfkrs?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Lifetime VIP

Send a message via AIM to silent_kreeper Visit silent_kreeper's Facebook Visit silent_kreeper's Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFourTwoHero View Post
I really hope you aren't implying that Chrysler products have higher quality than any GM product.

Oo nooo....I'm saying that i have seen new cars with better quality than GM and are cheaper....Some of GM's cars look slapped together and fall apart like nothing....I hate Chrysler's engines unless its a Hemi....
Old 03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Donating Member

about this time last year, i had read/heard rumors that GM was experimenting with some sort of Corvette with a diesel powerplant. anyone heard anything new/different recently?

SOMEONE BUY MY DAMN CAR
Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
MM Fiend

Anyone hear anything about Obama asking or hinting that the CEO of GM to retire or step down?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 PM
MM Fiend

Send a message via AIM to Sleeper90GST Visit Sleeper90GST's MySpace Visit Sleeper90GST's Facebook

I dont want to hear anything about GM and quality.....I worked at a Honda Mazda Nissan Kia dealer for 2 years in service. Hondas have to be the biggest joke on this earth as far as being quality. You never really hear about how V6 Accords jumping time,but always seemed to see atleast one a week roll in on a flatbed with bent valves,and countless minivans,Ridgelines and Pilots rolling in with transmissions that slip like no other,Civics with bad wheel bearings,Elements with front ends falling off,and all the other small BS that broke on their vehicles. Out of all 4 brands sold at the dealer,Honda had the most warranty claims out of the other 3,and by a wide margin.Manufactures can choose to have silent recalls,where they dont recall the vehicle,but if the vehicle is brought into a service department with the problem,its fixed at no cost.Honda has A LOT of those,but they dont want their false reputation for reliability going down the drain.Never really hear about a steering rod breaking on a Toyota truck either that can cause the vehicle to roll over and kill someone.That recall was just recently issued within the past 2 years on vehicles dating back to 1989,and Toyota having previous knowledge and actually issuing the recall 3 years earlier in Japan before it was issued here,but should of been issued back in 1997 when the issue was found.Kinda weird how several GM vehicles have JD Power awards for top quality,and Buick rating highest for dependibility.Ive worked at a Honda dealer and seen what really goes on,and I also worked at GM Moraine Assembly,the only IUE-CWA plant, where we produced the GMT360 platform....Envoy Trailblazer 9-7x,and it was my job to make sure vehicles didnt roll out of that plant with any defects.Come hell or high water before I signed off on a vehicle to roll off the assembly line with any defect on it.I wouldnt hold any recalls against any manufacture,I DO however hold silent recalls against manufactures like Honda,Toyota and Nissan for hiding stuff and risking their reputation until 60 Minutes finds out about it.I could sit and go on and on,but I think ive vented enough.

98 GST...FP Old School Red,Dr.Turbo Head,Kamz,SicksBolt,Keydriver ECU,Wavetrac LSD and lots more
04 Grand Cherokee Overland..Superchips Programmer,Flowmaster Super44,Airaid Intake..Da SUV
03 Acura CL-S 6 speed..DC Headers,Tanabe Exhaust,HFP Wheels...another DD
80 Kaw KZ1000MK2..Kerker pipe,Jetted,Lockhart Oil Cooler..Da OG bike
East Bound and Down.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
MM Fiend

Send a message via AIM to Sleeper90GST Visit Sleeper90GST's MySpace Visit Sleeper90GST's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookNbooK View Post
Anyone hear anything about Obama asking or hinting that the CEO of GM to retire or step down?
Wagoner needs to step down,hes already robbed GM of billions of dollars. He got his money to live out the rest of his life and bankrupt GM in doing so,not like him stepping down is hurting him.

98 GST...FP Old School Red,Dr.Turbo Head,Kamz,SicksBolt,Keydriver ECU,Wavetrac LSD and lots more
04 Grand Cherokee Overland..Superchips Programmer,Flowmaster Super44,Airaid Intake..Da SUV
03 Acura CL-S 6 speed..DC Headers,Tanabe Exhaust,HFP Wheels...another DD
80 Kaw KZ1000MK2..Kerker pipe,Jetted,Lockhart Oil Cooler..Da OG bike
East Bound and Down.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM
MM Fiend

This was added to the original post.
UPDATE 3/31/09:
DETROIT – General Motors Corp.'s new chief executive said Tuesday that more of the automaker's plants could close and bankruptcy is "more probable" as GM works to meet new, tougher requirements for government aid.

In his first news conference as CEO, Fritz Henderson said he expects the company would "need to take further measures" beyond the five plants the company said it would shutter when it submitted a restructuring plan to the government last month.

GM also is likely to offer another buyout program to workers as it looks to cut labor costs, Henderson said.

President Barack Obama said Monday that GM's initial plans to become viable didn't go far enough. He gave the company 60 days to make more cuts and get more concessions from bondholders and unions or it won't get any more government help.

The Obama administration also asked former CEO Rick Wagoner to resign, and Henderson took over as CEO on Monday.

Henderson said that although GM would prefer not to use bankruptcy protection to save itself, it is "certainly more probable" than in the past.

The company, he said, has until June 1 to accomplish changes sought by the government, or it will be in bankruptcy. The 60-day deadline should be enough time, but if it becomes evident that the changes can't be made by the deadline, GM could go into court sooner, he said.

"It doesn't have to take 60 days. If it's quite clear that we're not able to accomplish what we need to do in terms of operational restructuring, reduction of debt on the balance sheet and what we need to do to accomplish these broad parameters of having a viable business, this will be a management judgment" reviewed by the Obama administration's autos task force, he said.

Henderson also said GM is still talking with potential buyers of the Hummer brand, and a decision on the brand's fate will come in the next few weeks. GM said in a viability plan filed with the government in February that it would make the decision in the first quarter, which ends Tuesday.

In an effort to increase sales, GM launched a program called "Total Confidence" that will make car payments for customers who lose their jobs through no fault of their own.

GM will make up to nine payments of $500 each to qualifying customers. Consumers must qualify for state unemployment benefits to be eligible for the program.

The program starts Wednesday and runs until April 30.

Ford Motor Co. announced a similar program Tuesday, which will take over customer's payment of up to $700 a month for a year in the event of job loss.

Shares of GM fell 32 cents, or 11.9 percent, to $2.38 in midday trading. Ford shares fell 6 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $2.70.

Last edited by 95TalonTSI; 03-31-2009 at 08:28 PM.